New Jersey is called the Garden State, and it sure is beautiful! Happy New Jersey day to all our New Jersey Agriculturalist!
- Their top 5 agricultural commodities include: Horticulture, Fruits & Vegetables, Field Crops, Equine & Poultry/Eggs.
- Known for their thriving beekeeping industry, with the honeybee as their state insect.
- Orchards are bountiful, including blueberries, cranberries, peaches, apples & strawberries.
- Major producer of asparagus, bell peppers, eggplant, endive, lettuce & spinach.
- They have around 10,300 farms with the average farm size being around 71 acres.
- The state fish is a Brook Trout
- New Jerseys boasts more horse per square mile than any other state.
- Location of the 1st Miss America pageant on Atlantic City boardwalk in September 1921. The winner was Margaret Gorman a 16 year old!
- Location of the most diners in the world.
- State seashell is the Knobbed whelk
- Passic river was the site to the 1st submarine ride by inventor John P Holland
- Known for their sod and nursery’s
- The FIRST FFA National President, Leslie Applegate, was born and raised in New Jersey!
We hope that you learned a lot about New Jersey, and want to hear your agricultural story, share them with us!
Blog 5. 2019.